Thursday 23 November 2017

Serendipity

You kind of feel that you are on the right track when you are looking for a way forward and the metaphorical doors open.

I have to admit that when it comes to electricity, lights, LED, programming possibilities, energy sources, battery capacities … … it is all a foreign language and a strange land to me.
I sense a steep learning curve ahead.

And then a friend tells me that her son was working on a project at his high school, and I should talk to him. Not only that, but she also mentions my project to the teacher, and it turns out that the school is interested in a “real life collaborative project”.


This is really exciting! At the meeting with the teachers I learn that All Saints’ College has HotHouse and PropellerEnterprises. On the ASC web site I learn that the HotHouse is an incubation environment where unique and experimental ideas are given the necessary raw materials to grow into whatever they are destined to be; and Propeller is new hub for innovation at All Saints’ College. I think I fit right in!

And so, I have packed up Seed -
 "sculpture in progress" and transported it to the All Saints' College.

A few images from the brainstorming/workshop sessions with the students. I was really too busy to take photos.....



To make it easier for us to work, I have made several models of the Seed,and it made me understand its geometry better.
Here is the net:

Folding lines are blue, orange and beige are the edges of the tiles.

If any of you want to make your own model, print this image full size on A4 page 3 times:


Next week will be our last session together as the school year is drawing to a close, and some of the participants will be already on the school camp. We have made good progress in problem solving LED lights positioning and programming, but there is still a way to go before the sculpture is finished.

No comments:

Post a Comment