Tuesday 15 September 2015

The time has come

to start thinking about the next big sculpture. After all the ups and downs with the making (and welding) of the Intuitive Sense of Connection there are a few ideas, variations on the theme if you like, that I'd like to try.
This little plankton has been stuck in my thoughts the way some people get a song stuck in their heads and just can't stop humming it:


It is Emiliania huxleyi, often abbreviated "EHUX"
It is one of thousands of different plankton that freely drift in the ocean, forming the basis of virtually all marine food webs.
This species has been an inspiration for James Lovelock's Gaia hypothesis which claims that living organisms collectively self-regulate biogeochemistry and climate. 
I am intrigued by it's circles within circles, forming spheres.


In an odd way, it reminds me of the symbol for the group of people in Australian Aboriginal dot painting. 
It also makes me think not only of the beauty of the Earth's tiny building blocks, but its significance in transporting the energy through the "food chain". I cannot pretend to understand it's role in the climate change due to the global warming, but I am smitten by it's shape, name and images, and I want to learn more....

No comments:

Post a Comment